Sunday, June 24, 2012

Peter Pan Syndrome...

There are moments in our lives which define us.  But more importantly, there are people in our childhood that mould us into the adults we are today.  I look back on my childhood often and am so thankful that I grew up with the loving family I have.  I am thankful for the opportunities I was given and the way I was raised.  I know that life wasn't always easy for my mom and dad but, as a kid, I would never have guessed they struggled.  But having struggles with relationships, money, careers, etc., is a part of growing up and being an adult.

When you are a kid, you think your mom and dad have these special powers... they never get scared or worried, they always know what to do, and they seem to have ALL the answers.  But as you grow up, you slowly realize that your parents are human too and they too can make mistakes and be afraid and worry.

I really struggled for a long time with this whole "growing up" concept.  I didn't want to be an adult and leave the innocence of my childhood.  I wanted to stay in this place called childhood forever.  Growing up scared the heck out of me!  I look at children today and it makes me sad.  So many of them are rushing to grow up.  Rushing to be adults and not enjoying the beauty of their innocence.  It makes me sad because one day they will be all grown up and regret not having their childhood a little longer.

It's crazy that we live in this world.  We are not certain how we got here or what are purpose on this earth is, but we know that we go through a life cycle and, as far as we know, it only happens once.  I think we need to step back and remember the beauty of our childhoods and our innocence.  Take that memory and help mould the young people today to cherish these moments in their lives.  Help them to stay kids for as long as they can.

Growing up can be fun and exciting.  But with fun and excitement also brings responsibility.  And don't get me wrong, I love all the new memories I have been making as an adult but, I feel that I can truly appreciate them because I was a kid for as long as I could be thanks to the amazing parents who raised me!  :)

Never forget what it was like to be a kid!!



No comments:

Post a Comment