Sunday, July 7, 2013

Flowers in your hair...

Gypsy:

noun (plural gypsies)

  • 1 (usually Gypsy) a member of a travelling people with dark skin and hair, traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling. Gypsies speak a language (Romany) that is related to Hindi and are believed to have originated in South Asia.
  • 2 informal a nomadic or free-spirited person

    There is something about the Gypsy lifestyle that excites me... the thought of having no set plans and just flying by the "seat of your pants".  I sometimes feel trapped in this thing called LIFE.  Working 9-5 jobs, paying bills, and having to take vacations at a set scheduled time... just seems unfair.

    Yesterday I decided to join my parents at Sunfest in London.. something I have done since I was a very small child.  I walked around the festival and felt like I was in a dream world.  So many unique people, things, and food.  Everything from the sights, sounds, and smells excited me.  People watching here is like no other.  Men with longer hair then me playing the bongo drums, a yoga session in the middle of the park, a 10 piece band bringing the crowd to their feet... People drinking beer, smoking weed and being carefree... I felt like being here, not one person had a care in the world... at least in that moment.

    Maybe in a past life I lived a gypsy lifestyle.  That would explain my love for barefeet, my need for constant travel, and my fascination with different peoples and their cultures.  

    Having had a few close calls in my life, I have learned to really open my eyes and appreciate the things I have.  Although I have tons of school debt and really can't just take off and travel the world at this moment, that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy life being right here.  Going to small festivals like Sunfest, enjoying the company of my amazing family and friends, helping change the lives of people with disabilities, and moulding the minds of young children.  Just because I can't pick up and go whenever I please doesn't mean I can't enjoy the little things life has to offer and live with the same carefree mindset.  

    I have seen a lot of amazing people's lives end short.  We often think we are invincible and that nothing will happen to us but life is incredibly fragile and unpredictable.  We have to stop holding grudges, remember to tell the people you care about just how much they mean to you, and live your life doing the things you love!  

    I will probably never be a true "gypsy" but I can at least learn a little from their carefree lifestyle and be happy with what I do have and the life I was given!





No comments:

Post a Comment