Sunday, January 26, 2014

S n O W f L a K e

Oh hi there!!!  It certainly has been awhile since I have written a blog post.  Life has been super busy since I started teaching.  Unfortunately as a new teacher my work day doesn't end when the bell rings.. I probably put in a good 10 hours a day with teaching and planning combined.  I'm not complaining though.  I do love what I do. :)

Anywho,  I woke up with the sun this morning and decided to make myself a pot of tea and write a post.  So here I go...

As y'all know I love the winter almost as much as I adore the summer.  I guess I am just one of the crazy ones.  When I look outside and I see a beautiful white blanket covering all around me, a smile instantly appears on my face.  I know it's cold and can be annoying (shovelling snow, waiting for your car to heat up, being stuck inside for the day, etc.), but with that being said, I have been witnessing a lot of good from this crazy winter we have been having.  Everyday when I log onto my facebook,  I see a shout out to the kind strangers that woke up extra early to clear driveways that don't even belong to them.  I hear about the bosses who call their employees and tell them to take the day off because they worry about their travel.  Small acts of kindness.  I, myself live out in the country and every morning I wake up, some kind farmer has come by to plough my driveway.  Along with the generosity, I see beauty in this season.  Have you ever seen a snowflake up close before it melts or combines with the million others on the ground?  They are so unique and beautiful.  And to think that something so fragile and tiny can combine to cover a whole town over night.

Not to mention, snow is so much fun!  I think that as we get older we sometimes forget what it's like to be a kid again and we lose that innocence.  But it doesn't have to be like that!  I look at the kids I teach and it doesn't matter how cold it is outside.  When there is a big snowfall, that is where they want to be.  Their little imaginations see the ample opportunities presented to them.  Some would say I am still a big kid at heart and I would say that is one of the best compliments I could receive.  I love playing in the snow.  I love building snowmen and snow forts.  I love having snowball fights in the middle of the night.  I love ice skating outdoors and playing pond hockey.  I LOVE snowboarding.  I love taking snowy pictures.  I love being stuck inside with a fire going and a warm cup of tea.  I love big winter boots and even bigger winter coats.  I love earmuffs and hats.  I absolutely adore mittens!  And my list goes on....

Is there anything I hate about the season?  OF COURSE!  But why be negative about something when there is also so much beauty to be seen.  As I grow up, I find that adults can be much more negative about certain situations.  I know that I can get into moods sometimes where it's impossible to see the positives (For example, when I went into a ditch.. ekkkk).  But, with that being said, I know that life is more enjoyable when we focus less on the negative and more on the positive.  We need to find that inner kid in us to help see the beauty of every situation.

So, I know that this winter has felt long and been cold and frustrating, but I urge whoever is reading this, to remember what it's like to be a kid again.  Remember what your favourite thing to do in the snow was.  Wake up today, look outside and think happy thoughts!  You are alive another day and you get to decided how you are going to make the most of it! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment