Saturday, November 26, 2011

True meaning of Christmas...

My sister and I were talking the other day and realized how carried away people get with buying and receiving presents for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I do love receiving and I especially love giving but I feel that the true meaning of Christmas gets lost!

Christmas is about coming together. Putting aside all the stresses of real life and enjoying each others company. Christmas is about family, friends, and especially MAGIC!

I think the magic part was where the presents came in. How exciting is it to be a kid waking up on Christmas morning to see if Santa had arrived? I look back and I don't really remember all the presents I received because it was just stuff. I remember the way I felt. I remember the magic. For children, presents are part of the magic and I notice that some children get carried away with the presents and never really get to appreciate the magic.

When I was a kid, every Christmas Eve my twin sister and I would stay up all night listening to the Christmas music on the radio. We couldn't fall asleep because we were too excited for Santa to arrive. We eventually would give in to our heavy eyes and wander off. But, at the crack of dawn we were wide awake and couldn't wait any longer to see if Santa had come. My parents would let us take turns each year to be the first to go downstairs to see if there was evidence that Santa had arrived. It was probably my most favourite part of that morning. When it was my chance to see, I would RUN upstairs yelling, "Santa was here, Santa was here!!!!" It was such an exciting time. My mom and dad would make their coffee and torture us a bit longer by making us wait till that was done. I can only imagine how exciting it must of been for them to see us opening our presents with such joy and excitement.

My parents really did a good job at making Christmas magical. They told us stories of when they were young and heard the reindeer on the roof, they made sure the cookies and milk left out for Santa was half eaten with crumbs. Some years my mom even dipped my dad's shoes in flour and had him walk through the house. The magic was the best part; My most favourite memories.

I think as we get older we tend to forget about the magical aspect Christmas brings. I hope this post can help us all remember what it was like to be a kid and believing in the magic of Christmas. Although some may not believe that Santa really exists, I do! Santa doesn't have to be a person who travels the world in one night. Santa is the magic and the magic is what makes Christmas special.

So this holiday season, bring some magic into your household. Watch Christmas movies, go for snowy walks, tell stories from your childhood, play games, start a new tradition. Christmas doesn't have to be about burning holes in your pockets, let it be about the important things; Family, friends, traditions, and of course, MAGIC!




"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!"


No comments:

Post a Comment