Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Originality = Beauty

When was it decided that to be beautiful you had to be a size 00, 5'11'', D cup or bigger with tan skin?  I looked up the actual definition and nowhere does it state these things.  The actual definition states that beauty is "The quality that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality."


I highlight the word originality for an important reason.  The definition of originality states, "The quality of being original; The capacity to act or think independently."  So, why do we all strive to be the same?  Why do we all strive to be society's definition of beautiful when the actual definition says beauty is being original?

We are all made different and this should not be considered a bad thing.  Take me for example, I am barely 5'2'', muscular build, brunette.  Although I can change my hair colour, skin colour (tanning), boob size, and somewhat my build, I could never permanently change who I am.  I look at pictures in magazines and wish I could look like these movie stars and models.  But I know that no matter how much diet and exercise, I will never achieve this look.  But then I started thinking, why would I want to?  Instead of beating myself up because society tells me I'm not good enough, I decided to look at my "different" qualities and realize the beauty in each and every one of them.  

I look at my friends and see each of them as beautiful and all of them as different.  Most of us aren't born supermodels so instead of wishing we had been, we should start realizing that we are beautiful and unique because we are original.  

Here are some pictures of some true beauties in my life... You are all unique and beautiful from the inside and out :)















“The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows & the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years.” 
― Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment