Sunday, February 12, 2012

50/50

I just finished watching the movie 50/50.  I had heard some good reviews on it from both friends and family so I thought that a lazy afternoon was the perfect time to watch it.  For those of you who have never seen or heard of it, it is a story about a 27 year old man who is diagnosed with fibrosarcoma cancer.  This form of cancer is rare and presents as a tumour.  I am very familiar with the term because back when I was finishing high school, I was diagnosed with the same thing.

I was 18 years old when I discovered a lump on my right shoulder.  It started the size of a marble and grew to the size of an eight ball in weeks.  I had this lump removed and after they sent it away, it was discovered that this lump was a malignant fibrosarcoma... in other words, CANCER!

For those of you who knew me then, cancer scared the heck out of me.  As a kid, after watching Party of Five, I was convinced I had cancer.  I would go see the doctor monthly for checkups because it was the only way I could get a good nights sleep.  Needless to say, after finding out the diagnosis, I was a mess!  Everything happened fast after my first visit to the oncologist in London.  I had a second surgery planned almost immediately.  Luckily, the doctor's were able to get it all out and felt that it was not needed for me to undergo radiation or chemotherapy at the time.   It has now been 10 years since and I have had no signs of this returning.  

I was lucky for so many reasons.  I was lucky that the tumour was visible and not deep inside where it wasn't noticeable.  I was lucky that I caught it quick.  But I was extremely lucky to have the most amazing family who supported me through it all.  I have seen many more cases of fibrosarcoma over the years.  All who have had a much harder struggle then I have.  Thankfully, they have all lived to tell about it.  :)

I am thankfully that my journey was short and that my family was by my side through it all.  We hear the saying "Life is short!" all the time.  But when you go through something like cancer, you realize that life really is short and anything can happen tomorrow.  So make sure you make the most out of life.  Surround yourself with people who love you and care about you.  Because when the road gets rough, these are the people who will help you through it.

So.. I want to say thank you to my mom, dad, Arron, Cydney, and Zoe.  Not only did most of you attend almost every single appointment I had, you were there for me in ways I can't even express.  I love you guys so much and am happy I was born into such an incredible family.   THANK YOU!!!


2 comments:

  1. You ARE the most amazing family! May it stay at bay forever. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I read that Whit. That's a blessing from the Lord to have that lump go into complete remission. It's a miracle really!

    ReplyDelete